Green Lifespaces – We are committed to design and construct buildings, which are green across their lifecycle – from construction to use till end-of-life phase. Continuing this tradition, this year we announced two new projects 'Windchimes' in Bengaluru and 'Vivante' in Mumbai, which sport the following green features:
Health-friendly indoors | Energy-efficient lighting | Water efficient plumbing fixtures | Alternative building materials | Sustainable location | Rainwater harvesting | Water recycling and re-use | Organic waste treatment | Energy-efficient building envelope | Efficient daylighting and ventilation
Certifications for the Projects:
- LEED India NC – Gold Certification: MWC Club, Chennai
- Green Homes – Platinum Certification: Splendour, Mumbai;
- Platinum Pre-Certification – The Serenes, Alibaug; Vivante, Mumbai;
- Gold Pre-Certification – Luminare, Gurgaon; L’artista, Pune
- Green Schools – Platinum – Mahindra World School, Chennai
Sustainable Supply Chain Management
For the output to be sustainable, the inputs have to be credible. We integrate good environment and labour practices among our suppliers & contractors to maintain a balanced sustainability chain in our construction ecosystem. At Mahindra Lifespaces, induction of suppliers only happens after a detailed screening process wherein, they are assessed on a variety of parameters in the areas of environment, quality, safety, sustainability practices and human right practices. This includes:
We believe that it is equally important to involve our supply chain in our decision-making processes and lend a patient ear to their grievances. We regularly engage with our contractual workforce and address their concerns through a safety committee constituted of 50% of Company representatives and 50% of labour representatives. Plans are afoot to develop a formal grievance mechanism to address concerns of our vendors pertaining to our environment, human rights, safety and labour practices.
EcoSytemic Content: (Low Carbon Benchmarking)
Cities are a key contributor to climate change. But the solution is not to develop few cities; it is to develop greener, cleaner and smarter cities. We are making the idea of Urbanization, a reality through the following participations:
- CDP: In 2014, we became the only real estate company from India to participate in the CDP Global Water Report 2014. We continued our voluntary participation in the Climate Disclosure Project 2015 for climate change and water, with a disclosure score of 99 out of 100 on climate response
- World Resource Institute: Last year, MWC, Chennai signed an MoU with World Resources Institute (WRI) to procure green power and provide stable supply of energy to its occupants at competitive prices. WRI has been interacting with potential customers and have reached to a stage where sizeable demand has been aggregated. In January 2016, MWC, Chennai, WRI & IFC (Part of World Bank Group) conducted a workshop on Group Captive Renewable Project. The objective was to provide clean, uninterrupted and cheaper power to occupants of MWC in Chennai.
- Climate+ve (CPDP): We are a participant in the Climate Positive Development Program (C40 program), towards pushing the Climate+ve urbanization agenda. This year, MWC, Jaipur became the 1st Indian and the largest of its kind project to achieve Stage 2 of the C40 program.